Access to Good Oral Health Starts with You!

You already do a lot, but there are some other ways you can help.

Be a KanCare Medicaid Provider.

KanCare serves about 300,000 Kansans.  Children receive a full range of dental benefits care while adults are eligible for mostly preventative services.  DentaQuest and SCION Dental are the two KanCare dental vendors working through UnitedHealthcare, Sunflower State Health Plan and Amerigroup.  For more information contact:
kancare square


900 SW Jackson, Suite 900 N

Topeka, KS 66612-1220





Participate in a charitable activity or event. 


The KDA’s Kansas Dental Charitable Foundation (KDCF) has hosted the Kansas Mission of Mercy (KMOM) since 2003.  Over 20,000 Kansans have been provided $11 million in free dental care.  Watch the KDA website for information to volunteer at the next event or visit the Kansas Dental Charitable Foundation website for more details.

Donated Dental Services (DDS).  DDS provides comprehensive dentistry to the most vulnerable Kansans who are elderly, disabled or medically at-risk and have no other way to get help.  DDS dentists approve the cases they treat.  Become a DDS volunteer dentist today by contacting the Dental Lifeline Network of Kansas at 785.273.1900.

In Office Program.  Last year, the KDA shepherded legislation that exempts dentists from liability who participate in an organized in-office charitable program.  These could be programs like Give Kids a Smile, programs organized by your dental district, local health department or your own Office “MOM” project that some dentists around the state coordinate.

Community Health Clinic.  Community Health Centers, Local Health Departments, Federally Qualified Health Centers and similar community clinics often have opportunities for dentists who are looking for opportunities to provide gratis care.  Check with your local social service departments for possible opportunities.

Adopt a Nursing Home.

Residents of nursing homes often suffer from poor or neglected oral health.  Ongoing dentist involvement and intervention is critical to maintain these patients oral health.  Service to nursing homes can be enhanced by sponsoring an ECP II or III dental hygienist who can then provide preventative and/or palliative care for patients.  There are payment opportunities through PETI.  Contact a local nursing home and start helping today.

Sponsor Extended Care Permit (ECP) I, II or III advanced dental hygienists.

ECP I and II dental hygienists have been working in Kansas since 2002.  An ECP works outside the dental office under the supervision of a sponsoring dentist.  ECP I and II dental hygienists perform dental hygiene preventative services in head starts, schools, nursing homes, community health prisons centers, etc.  The new ECP III law passed in 2012 allows the ECP III advanced dental hygienists to do additional palliative treatments such as adjusting dentures, smoothing a rough tooth, and removal of decay and placement of IRT materials using hand instrumentation.  In order for these programs to be successful to addressing the need for care in these areas, dentists are needed to take on the responsibility of sponsoring ECP I, II and III dental hygienists.

Satellite into a rural area of need.

Did you know you can own a satellite dental office in a county of less than 10,000 population, within 125 miles of your primary office and not have to be present a majority of time?  Kansans in some rural areas of our state could benefit from a dentist in their community.  This could be an excellent way to expand your practice while also providing dental care to an area that is in need of a dentist.  The Kansas Initiative for New Dentists (KIND) can help you find a dentist for the satellite practice.  Contact the KDA office for more information.